Monday, June 25, 2012

Seriously Sumptuous Strawberries

I love strawberries. I love their sweetness. I love their juiciness.

I have been buying them. A LOT of them. They look so red, juicy and delicious that I can't resist. I spend too much time looking at them at the grocery store.

Maybe next year I will find somewhere to go pick them. Yes....

And we all know I love cupcakes. Glorious and fluffy little nuggets of goodness.

So a few weeks ago I was talking to Preston while he was at work and things had been particularly difficult that day - all around. His coworker, Bobby, had a most difficult customer that day who threatened, um, well, to kick his a$$.

Because that's the way to make friends and influence people - right?

Anyway - I asked what kind of cupcakes I could make for Bobby that would make him feel better. Quick response - STRAWBERRY.

YES!

A while back I found this delectable strawberry cupcake recipe on Pinterest. I think when I originally pinned it there were no fresh strawberries available. But it's that time now...


Pretty butter, sugar and vanilla.

Cream them.
Now, a note: she specifically says to use the PADDLE attachment - which obviously I did not do. Sigh. I'm learning though. I think the "whisk" attachment adds too much air and my cupcakes aren't as fluffy as they should be. So - if you make these cupcakes use the paddle attachment.
Take the bowl off of the stand mixer and gently fold in your strawberries (this I did correctly).
Pour your batter into the prepared cupcake liners.

Bake until delicious.

Now, onto the frosting. Swiss meringue buttercream. I was reading about it here on Sweetapolita and I felt all weak-kneed and dreamy. I was trying to think of a reason to try it. Then I reread the strawberry cupcake recipe and realized she was making swiss meringue buttercream. Dreamy deliciousness.

Start with pureed strawberries.
Quick note to everyone: do NOT put your brand new camera on the cute little tripod, point it downward to take pictures and then walk away. You might get a LENS FULL OF STRAWBERRY PUREE. Or something like that....

Next start warming your egg whites - with the candy thermometer.

Once the egg whites are at the temperature they need to be - remove them from the heat and start beating. And beating. And beating. I made the mistake of making this frosting on a humid day. Sigh. It took almost an HOUR to get the egg whites "stiff" enough to use in the frosting. But, like I said, this frosting is worth it.

Weird things happen with this frosting but the end product is well worth it.

Once you start adding the butter it will get this yucky curdled look. Keep going.

Add the strawberries - you will get a strange looking frosting again. Gently mix in the strawberries and it will get yummy again.
And to quote Preston's boss "these are the BEST cupcakes I have ever put in my mouth".

Hugs & kisses.....

No comments:

Post a Comment