Sunday, September 2, 2012

My Heart and Pumpkin Spice Donuts

Tuesday I exercised. For 20 whole minutes.

I know. Doesn't seem really impressive. For me it sure is.

I haven't done anything purposely physical for probably 6 months. OK, that is stretching it a bit. I had some awesome walks on the beach. But that might be the extent of my physical activity.

Not because I did't want to but because I physically could not.

As I talked about a few weeks ago I changed my cardiologist. Can I just say I love Dr. D? He's awesome and he listens to me and he explains things to me. In a way that I understand.

The really awesome news is that my heart is wonderful. You heard it here first. It's pumping like it is supposed to, my stents are doing their jobs and the blood is flowing like it should. Of course this information is encouraging but at the same time it frustrates me. It frustrates me because it means I should have been able to exercise and do the things that I want to do but I haven't been able to because I was basically over medicated for the last 6 or so months. So I have gained weight (AGAIN) and I'm tired all of the time - tired because I'm out of shape. Sigh.

But I exercised Tuesday for 20 whole minutes.

Yes I did. And I'm proud of that.

And Wednesday I exercised for a total of 40 minutes.

And Thursday. And Friday. And Saturday.

Now just to keep going.

OK - enough about exercise.

Let's talk donuts......

What???

Specifically Pumpkin Spice Donuts.

Not fried in oil but baked. Yummy cake-like donuts with a glossy Cinnamon Glaze.

OH yeah.

Here they are....in all of their glory. So delicious and cakey and cinnamony. And simple.

First, you mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
Set that aside. In another bowl whisk together the oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk.
Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
The batter will be thick and delicious. Spoon into a prepared donut pan. Make sure not to overfill the pan because these donuts will puff slightly.
Bake for 12 minutes.
While they are cooling make the glaze with powedered sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and milk.
Make sure the donuts are completely cool before glazing. Once glazed place the donuts in the refrigerator and allow the glaze to harden.
These are so darn yummy.

Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Cinnamon Glaze

For the donuts:
1 3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup milk

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or more if you love cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 - 2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350.

In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and spices together.

In a larger bowl, whisk together the oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients and stir until just comgined.

Fill donut pan partially full and bake 12 minutes.

Allow donuts to cool.

Mix powdered sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and milk together in a small bowl. Dip the top of each donut into the glaze. Place on a pan and allow to set.

Enjoy!

Hugs & kisses......

 

No comments:

Post a Comment