Saturday, April 21, 2012

Frittering about.....fritters

I'm thinking I should just go ahead and dub this week the "Hormone Week from Hell". Really.

I'm feeling quite psychotic yet peaceful at times. Blissful for me - not so much for those around me.

I know myself when I'm like this. I have learned after years of having "crazy" time to stay away from others. When I'm like this, let's face it, I don't play well. Unless I like you. Then you're relatively safe. 

Relatively. Not completely.

I had the "crazy" under control for all of those glorious years when birth control helped to balance my hormone levels. Since my heart attack - no HORMONES. So I'm psychotic. Poor Preston. He met me when I was still my sweet little self and has watched me develop into a maniac over the past year and a half as the extra (balancing) hormones have seeped from my system. So for about a 24 - 72 hour period I become irrational, unapproachable and my tolerance for stupidity goes WAY down. Yay. 

Last month wasn't too bad. I only lost it briefly but once I had a meltdown I quickly recovered and everything was bunnies and jelly beans. Literally. 

But this time around....watch out world. 

But onto fritters....they are so lovely.

They bring me so much joy.

Preston pronounced them "OK" but I disagree. Try them for yourself and see!! The original recipe can be found here but mine includes more pictures. I honestly think you could use yellow squash or even those pretty, multicolored sunburst squash when they are available. YUM!!!

Zucchini Fritters

2 small zucchini
2 teaspoons salt
4 scallions, minced (finely chopped)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped from dill (or 2 TB dried)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup flour

Grate the zucchini over a small colander. Sprinkle with the 2 teaspoons of salt and mix together. Allow to sit in the sink for 10 minutes.


I think the salt helps to pull all of the moisture out of the squash. Squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini - I was surprised how much there was!!! Place your squash in a small mixing bowl.


Add the scallions, parsley, dill, egg, Parmesan and flour. Mix very well.

 

Place a skillet over medium heat and heat olive oil. Form the squash into small patties and place in the skillet.


Cook on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes.


Serve warm (and delicious!!).


Just a note: last night I made just enough for myself and used 1 zucchini and the egg white. I'm working on something to use as an alternative to the egg and Parmesan and will update you when I figure it out! I also think adding a little cayenne and cutting the dill would make them even more lovely.

Hugs & kisses....

No comments:

Post a Comment