Thursday, April 26, 2012

Vegan Confusion

I get lots of different emails from my favorite blogs and websites because I'm pretty much a food-aholic.

Hi, my name is Marisha and I have a problem.

I mean, have you seen my boards on Pinterest??? Check out my madness here.

So I get these emails and I love it when I see "vegetarian" in the subject line or the body of the message. I get excited and settle in for some real delicious goodness that is good for me.

Then I see something delicious-looking like "Asian Favorites" and think WOOHOO!! But I click and the very first recipe calls for 5 eggs. Huh?? OK, next, thinking that possibly they are just including recipes that don't include actual meat. So I find "Chicken Spring Rolls" or "Asian Chicken Noodle Soup". What. The. Heck. Really??

For those who are confused - like me - let me clarify what I found to be the definition of "vegan".

A vegan is a vegetarian. HA!! They honestly are the same thing when you get down to it. Someone who does not consume any type of animal products - milk, eggs, meat, cheese, etc. Some choose to not even wear things made from animals such as leather or feathers. I'm not one of those.

A definition from Wikipedia:
Vegetarianism encompasses the practice of following plant-based diets (fruits, vegetables, etc.), with or without the inclusion of dairy products or eggs, and with the exclusion of meat (red meat, poultry, and seafood).

See? The exclusion of meat. This being said, there are different kinds of veganism or vegetarianism.

  • Ovo vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy products.
  • Lacto vegetarianism includes dairy products but not eggs.
  • Ovo-lacto vegetarianism (or lacto-ovo vegetarianism) includes animal/dairy products such as eggs, milk, and honey.
  • Veganism excludes all animal flesh and animal products, including milk, honey, and eggs, and may also exclude any products tested on animals, or any clothing from animals.[23]
  • Raw veganism includes only fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. Vegetables can only be cooked up to a certain temperature.[24]
  • Fruitarianism permits only fruit, nuts, seeds, and other plant matter that can be gathered without harming the plant.[25]
  • Buddhist vegetarianism (also known as su vegetarianism) excludes all animal products as well as vegetables in the allium family (which have the characteristic aroma of onion and garlic): onion, garlic, scallions, leeks, or shallots.
  • Jain vegetarianism includes dairy but excludes eggs and honey, as well as root vegetables.
 There is also:
  • pescetarianism, which includes fish and some other forms of seafood;
  • pollotarianism, which includes poultry;
  • "pollo-pescetarian", which includes poultry and fish, or "white meat" only;
But these are not categorized as types of "vegetarianism". 
(Note - I copied this from Wikipedia)

People, I did my research before starting my new lifestyle and for the most part I think I understand it. I find myself on the fence, sometimes, about certain things or have questions about other things. But for the most part I get it. I get the recipes that include eggs or cheese or honey. But CHICKEN?? Or another one that used steak? How in the world can these possibly be classified as any kind of "vegetarian"? They have meat for goodness sake. And personally, when I'm in full-on vegan mode I don't even want to see meat - not even read about it.

I see these recipes and think "they have it all wrong". But what bothers me the most is I find it misleading to the non-vegetarian majority. These recipes do not represent true vegetarianism and that is aggravating. While tempeh and tofu may not seem appetizing to most people or the thought of my veggie riblets or garden burger might make YOU feel uneasy - I want to hear about it!! Thankfully I DO subscribe to several blogs that are totally and completely vegan and I know when I'm "clicking" I will get what I came for!

So here you go - good vegan food. Heck, you might learn something!!

Peas and Thank You
BitterSweet
Healthy. Happy. Life.

These are a few I read regularly but there are so many wonderful people out there sharing their vegan love. Check them out!

Hugs & kisses....

No comments:

Post a Comment