Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vegan and Cherry Vanilla Baked Oatmeal

Vegan. 

Just the word makes me cringe.

Changing my eating to vegan totally intimidates me.

No meat. No dairy. What am I supposed to eat?

Strangely enough, lots of stuff!

I'm trying it for 2 weeks. 

Today I made my breakfast for the week. Baked Oatmeal. 

You can find the original recipe at Dessert For Two. I made changes to make it "vegan" and I will give my version below. I also doubled the original recipe and instead of baking it in ramekins I used a casserole dish. I was thinking I would get 4 servings but it is honestly enough for 5 days. I packaged it up in individual containers and I'm good to go for the week!!

Over the next 2 weeks I will be sharing my recipes, my thoughts and hopefully my successes as I "go vegan". So stay tuned!!

Cherry Vanilla Baked Oatmeal (makes 4 to 5 servings)

2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
4 tablespoons brown sugar (I used 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 banana, mashed
3 tablespoons vegetable based "butter", melted

1 cup dried cherries

Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.

Spray a 9x9 inch casserole dish with canola spray. Spread the dried cherries on the bottom of the dish. Pour the mixed dry ingredients evenly over the cherries.

Mash the banana. In a large measuring cup whisk the 3 cups almond milk, the banana and the melted "butter" together. Pour evenly over the dry mixture.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the oatmeal is evenly baked. You can sprinkle extra brown sugar on the top and broil. Serve warm.

Hugs & kisses


No comments:

Post a Comment