Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The quest to bake without eggs

Another day of sickness today.

My eye is looking better - thank goodness. I can go to work if it only looks a little bad.

My cough. Oh my - it sounds horrible. So if you know me and hear me - no, I am not coughing up a lung. It only sounds like it.

I was under strict supervision at home - as is evident from the picture below.



One of my newest "vegan" ventures is beginning to bake vegan.

And for me one of the biggest hurdles is baking without eggs. Eggs are important for so many different reasons: they can act as a binding agent, help with color, they can thicken and reduce moisture loss. 

See?? They are important.

So, this is difficult. There are so many different options but everything I read pretty much says that it depends on what you are using the eggs for. Cookies. Cakes. Casseroles. It depends. 

Why does it have to be complicated??

I used banana in my Cherry Vanilla Baked Oatmeal which worked out fine. It gave me a thicker, tastier oatmeal - but it added a banana flavor. I also made these Whole Wheat Banana Bread Pancakes on Saturday for Preston. Of course there was banana - that's what it was supposed to taste like. (btw - he said it was like eating banana bread with syrup - WIN!)

Then I read that there are "vegan" egg substitutes. I have to research those. Or applesauce - but again with the flavor. Another option is avocado. Strange. 

So I tried it. I sure did.  Shhhh.....don't tell Preston. (wink wink)  Actually, once he ate one and said they were good I told him. So my secret is out! The only thing that would make this recipe not vegan are the chocolate chips. I found these chocolate chips on Amazon that I might have to try.


Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup flour (I used 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 whole wheat)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable butter
1/2 cup Splenda
1/3 cup brown sugar/Splenda blend
2 tablespoons avocado (YUP!!!)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate)
1 cup dried cherries (or cranberries)


Sift flour, baking soda & salt together in a small bowl. Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugars together.
Add the avocado and vanilla to the sugar mixture. Mix well. (no green)
Stir the flour mixture into the sugar/avocado mixture.

Stir in the the oats, chocolate and cherries until very well mixed.


Heat oven to 325 and bake 20 minutes.



YUM!

Hugs & kisses!!


No comments:

Post a Comment